Y1 FAVE FOOD M

My second project at university was My Favourite Food, which allowed me to look at fruits – which also happen to be my favourite forms! With it being my first project in metal, taking advantage of the opportunity to experiment and practice different techniques was of higher importance than designing something of function or manufacture quality. Consequently I produced a small series of samples based on the fruit rambutan. I looked at drilling, bending metal, annealing metal and manipulating wire. Bashing, scratching and denting the metal with different materials also helped me achieve a variety of textures and surface patterns. I also discovered that applying old nail varnish that was no longer of use to me can give metal a glossy vibrant finish.

I looked at many different types of fruit (seedy and segmented fruits, I find myself the most drawn to) but I decided to base this series on rambutan because I found the form of this particular fruit the most intriguing. I love the spines, the colour and the fleshy insides that look almost egg like. I believe the contrast between deep coloured spiky exterior and the pale, fleshy fruit inside was what inspired me the most in this project – contrast being my main theme. Here are images of my samples I created using mostly copper wire and aluminium sheets.

metal1

Here you can see the difference the nail polish application made! I decided to keep the copper its usual colour to contrast with the rest of the sample. The wires shiny smooth finish also contrasts with the alluminium it’s pushed through, which I scratched and scuffed to achieve a matte finish.

Here I have wrapped thread around the wire I have pushed through the sample . I chose to use thread rather than coloured wire to give a contrasting texture to the piece.

Here I have wrapped thread around the wire I have pushed through the sample . I chose to use thread rather than coloured wire to give a contrasting texture to the piece.

metal3

This sample was directly inspired by the fruit after the edible centre has been scooped out.

Originally, this was meant to be a triangle - a geometric shape to contrast with the otherwise rounded shapes, but after I worked a pattern into the surface it looked like a slice of pizza! I cut the corners and it's resulted it something rather strange looking. Had I had more time I would have bent the shape to make this sample less flat.

Originally, this was meant to be a triangle – a geometric shape to contrast with the otherwise rounded shapes, but after I worked a pattern into the surface it looked like a slice of pizza! I cut the corners and it’s resulted it something rather strange looking. Had I had more time I would have bent the shape to make this sample less flat.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s